The HTC One E8 dual is the visually and technically minimal “stripped down” HTC One M8 dual (Test) . Therefore, to get it there, where it is officially marketed, even at a lower price.
The Smarphone was originally offered only in Taiwan, but is now available as single-SIM version in Germany. Unfortunately for this is dual SIM phone , however currently not an official sales planned, but it is my single import available through independent dealers.
Better? Worse? Equal?
Before one thinks of buying, but initially the decisive: What you have to give at the entry level model in the HTC One family, if one opts for the E8 variant – or are they just little things? What benefits one has even possibly? We provide the decisive points compared before.
5.0 “display, Android 4.4, BoomSound
To make it short: everything essential is the E8 dual as we have already described the M8 dual. So very good 5.0 “Full HD display, Android 4.4 and HTC Sense 6 with Blink Feed (automatic display of postings and messages on a dedicated homescreen page) and not to forget the really rich and super-clear” Boom Sound “on the two large speakers on the front.
What makes the HTC One E8 dual differently?
Actually, the E8 differs only in a few points from the M8, but one of these points is extremely striking, the otherwise typical aluminum look missing namely.
- Housing material : aluminum instead in the E8 is dual namely wrapped in plastic, more specifically in a high-quality polycarbonate unibody.
- Main camera : The Ultra pixel camera has been replaced by a “normal” 13-megapixel camera. The additional cam for distance measurement is omitted.
- Front camera: With a countdown timer on the screen and the “Touch Up” software automatically reworked skin tones, HTC aims at all those times like take a selfie.
- Minor differences , there are also things in processor and dimensions, in which the new E8 cuts slightly worse. In addition, the buttons are a bit differently placed. When Wi-Fi, however, the E8 in the test of pocketnow has a small speed advantage, but it does not support other standards.
- Cheaper List Price : Abandoning the aluminum as well as individual features pay off in a low price (RRP). In Germany, however, depends on them, make that offer the individual importers currently.
- More colors : The plastic skin is available unlike the previous HTC flagship in several color versions, including some, even in bright red variants are shiny, some designed matt..
The main advantages & disadvantages compared
|One E8 dual||Both||One M8 dual|
|resolution||1920 x 1080|
|operating system||Android 4.4.2
(Update to 4.4.4)
|user interface||HTC Sense 6, Blink Feed|
|Primary Camera||13 megapixel||4 Ultra Pixel|
|subsequent focus||No||Yes ( “Dual-Cam”)|
|Selfie Camera||5 megapixel||5 megapixel|
|processor||2.3GHz quad core||2.5GHz quad-core|
|weight||145 g||160 g|
|Dimensions||14.64 x 7.07 x 0.985 cm||14.64 x 7.06 x 0.935 cm|
|Mobile Internet||LTE, HSPA, UMTS|
|LTE frequencies||1800 MHz, 2600 MHz
(no LTE on 800 MHz)
|Dual sim card format||2x Nano SIM|
In detail: What makes the E8 dual better or worse?
In order to score the new One
- Instead 160g there are now 145g: By the lighter housing, the total weight has dropped by almost 10%.
Certainly all of the paper shape to other than ultralight. But frankly also the M8 is by its arched back so handy that the rather high weight is rarely noticeable with him.
In handling the now 145g therefore mean the E8, it feels really easy.
- The design is minimal otherwise. Not because individual tenths of a millimeter, which is the E8 thicker and wider, but because the frame tapers felt in a minimal arc to display, whereby the phone leaves a little better grip. HTC called “Dual Curve”, which probably should designate the slight bend in the back towards the front AND – exactly not explained the HTC however.
- More colors mean more choices: During the “big” brother is only available in Alumium-Grey, has the E8 blue, red, dark gray and white as exterior color.
The missing the entry-level flagship
- First, the question Ultra Pixel vs Megapixel: It must be said that we have a specific standard of quality is noticed when testing the Ultra pixel technology, which is installed in the One M8.
The 13-megapixel camera in the HTC One E8 dual therefore is not a serious drawback – probably the component is simply cheaper and is therefore used in this model. Depending on the recording and zoom the megapixel images can even be better eventually.
- Refrain noticeably must contrast to the dual-Cam feature that allows it otherwise, sharply observed images later on interested in to image.This can be very useful and also allows some creative gimmicks depending on the recording.
To be fair, but you have to add that this subsequent focus is only available for a specific capture in the dual cam. Accordingly, the lack of functional perspective.
Conclusion: HTC One E8 Dual SIM
With the One E8 HTC sets to a cheaper entry-level model in the One series. Both in terms of equipment and in the choice of material, it is simpler than the flagship. In contrast, the design corresponds to the top model. Overall a good midrange model in an elegant plastic housing.
Actual advantage of E8 are clearly the price and slightly lower weight – and possibly the appearance, if you find particularly stylish the alu look (not more). However, the import into Germany is only possible through individual unofficial deals. As a result, the price be higher in individual cases or only have a very slight advantage.
Most important restriction : A marketing in Germany, there is not like the M8 basically. Only with a lot of luck is to find the E8 – even just as a hand model. Otherwise it will look if the dealer E8 dual officially should offer this country: Then the manufacturer’s price advantage might make noticeable also in euros. Until then, our personal tip is rather the dual M8 relate with full warranty and guarantee the German suppliers and go for a few euros more on the safe side.